Friday, July 1, 2011

Strawberries

Nothing says summer has arrived like warm juicy strawberries.  Today we set out first thing after we got up to pick berries.  Daddy had to work and Stephanie was helping with Special Friends camp so I was hoping without them we could come home with 40 pounds.  My awesome crew picked 60 pounds!  They were all amazing!  Right down to Elayna who filled her little square box at least 20 times and dumped it in the big flats. 




Waiting for the Tractor Trolly




What could be better than riding on a Tractor Trolly with mud from the wheels flying on you while you sit squished between a bunch of people you have never met?  Nothing- if you're 3!








Everyone hard at work



"Elayna, you're not eating any are you... "





Finishing up!




Our haul

Now we get to spend the next few days slicing, sugaring, freezing, making Jam, making strawberry rhubarb crisp and enjoying fresh picked strawberries. 

~Welcome Summer~

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Great job everyone! Kristen, your trolley comments made me laugh. :)

    We need to pick up some berries too. I love homemade jam! Kristen, can I ask how much your berries were for a pound of U-pick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Biringer was $1.75 a pound for u-pick but you get a free pound every 20 pounds so that brings the price down. I don't think they are organic. But the flavor is amazing! They really do taste better than any store bought ones I have bought. I can't stress enough that getting there when they open is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I wish I could have been there. I LOVE to pick strawberries. You will have LOTS of wonderful jam and crisp. Enjoy them. They would make great smoothies too!!

    ReplyDelete